Wednesday, June 19, 2013

"Mommy- Your arm is Fat"

The title of the post is what my son said to me the other day....Are you kidding me? You did NOT just say that to me? I wanted to scream- "It's a heck of a lot skinnier than it was a year ago!" I refrained. As I looked into the face of my 3.5 year old son, I tried to remember he wasn't being mean. It was in fact "fat" compared to other arms he sees. His arm, his brother's arm, and Miss Mary Jo who watches him, her arm (she's very thin and just lovely!) I explained, "You should never call someone fat in any way. That's just not polite and not nice."

But why did he have to say that to me? Just when I think I'm looking good and getting a little more confidence in myself, BAM- knock me down a few pegs. Needless to say, I spent 20 minutes with free weights yesterday morning after a 40 minute workout on the elliptical. This workout was also spawned thanks to my son, who decided to come in and wake me up at 4:44 am. Now I wouldn't normally allow him to get into our bed, but it was after 4 am, which means if I try the 30 minute fight getting him back into his room, it really wouldn't pay off. Besides, I was sleepy.

Warrior Dash- Wisconsin
Let's step back a moment, I have signed up for Warrior Dash (http://www.warriordash.com/Wisconsin) here in WI. It's on August 3rd and I am frightened. It's for charity, which is awesome, so I figured it would also force me to get into shape before the Big Wedding. Anyhoo, I was out at a party Saturday night at the bar we are signed up through. I met a few people there who were discussing their training regiment for the event. WOW!! I had no idea it was going to be that much work. People are running 5 miles a day to prepare. This is a 5K with obstacles. I figured worst case scenario I could walk the 3.3 miles. It turns out the obstacles are a little more difficult. UGH!

So, when my son came in at 4:44 am, I promptly brought him into the bed in between me and hubby. I said "Leave room for mommy, ok." He was out immediately. Within 5 minutes, he had literally shoved me out of the bed. I looked at my phone, it was 4:53 am. I was exhausted, but grabbed workout clothes and headed downstairs. Normally I would have done the elliptical for 30 minutes and called it a day. I felt extra motivated by the "fat arms" comment. Which is why I picked up my free weights for the first time in 7 years! They were dusty, but they worked. Oh man, they worked. It hurts to type. With that, enjoy your hump day!

No comments:

Post a Comment