Saturday, September 7, 2013

Mexican Makeover!

I swear I could eat some sort of Mexican food every day. My favorites are tostadas and chimichangas. This would have been a go-to for me at any of the great Mexican Restaurants here in Milwaukee. They are also BOTH fried, which is not so figure friendly. In the last 14 months, I have done my best to still satisfy my cravings but not add the extra fat to my hips and butt! Which is why I love makeovers.

Overall, Mexican food is one of the easiest cuisines to makeover. It doesn't have to be fat filled and calorie ridden. Corn tortillas are only 1 point. My favorite tortilla is a locally made product. Not only are they delicious, they are fresh and a package is only $.49. SWEET Deal! They make the best tostadas too. Here's my simple, easy recipe for Tostada Dinner.

Photo from Kraft recipe

Corn Tortillas (baked in oven: tip below) - 1 point each = 2 @ 2 points
Refried Beans- 1/2 cup = 2 points (My favorite beans)
Ground Turkey Breast*- 2 ounces = 2 points
*Cooked Taco meat (I make a big batch and freeze into three 5 oz.servings)
Reduced Fat Mexican Cheese-  1/4 cup = 2 points (My favorite cheese)
Green Onions- chopped = FREE
Romaine Lettuce- chopped (Don't use iceburg. Very little nutrition. Romaine is a smarter choice)= FREE
Sour Cream- 2 T = 1 point
Salsa- Free!
Total Points = 9 points
(You could also add tomatoes(free) or avocado (2 points for 1/4 avocado) and even sub shrimp too!)

To bake the tortillas- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray or very lightly oil both sides of the tortilla. Put directly onto the oven rack. Flip after 5 min. Cook another 3-4 min. Keep a super close eye as they can go from browned to burned REALLY fast!

Hopefully you enjoy these. I'd love to makeover something else this week. I'm open to your ideas! Please let me know :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment