Thursday, September 12, 2013

Mom's can't have anything nice

Thinking back there is one saying I remember hearing from my mom over and over again. After a spill on the carpet, a snag on her favorite sweater, or after me dropping her favorite measuring cup to have it shatter on the floor, my mom would always say, "I just can't have anything nice, can I." Sigh.

I vividly remember getting a new sofa when I was 11-12 years old. It was off white and had bursts of color throughout. My parents had never bought anything BRAND new like this, so Mom was so excited. The sofa lasted all of 1 week in our house. Our dog, Pongo, a Dalmatian, took it upon himself to EAT the sofa. Not just scratch at it or take a small bite of it, the dog ATE a huge part of the sofa. The vet had told us there was something in the material used that he was drawn to, so....2 months later that sofa went into a dumpster bin. My mom was devastated. She couldn't have anything nice.

I spent my 20's buying trendy clothing and shoes. Even when I was a size 14-16, I looked cute and fashionable. My cars were always immaculate and my house was pretty clean most of the time. Now that I have kids, my life is much different. It's funny though because I still try to buy nice things, WHAT AM I THINKING?

We recently got a new (used) car. It's got black leather interior and I LOVE it! The other day, my husband let my little one, Joel, who's 15 months into the car with his "Baba" (aka sippy cup full of milk). Fast forward 5 minutes down the road, he throws it and I have milk all over on my back seat. Had his happened in my twenties, I may have frantically pulled over and tried to clean it up. But I didn't. On Monday, I got into the car and looked in my rear view mirror to find a large dried white milk stain. Ugh. What do I find myself saying? "I can't have anything nice." Sigh....

My friend, Donna and I were talking about what we have that's nice now. She too has 2 young boys, ages 3 and 5. After a promise from her husband she would get new carpet after they moved in- she's now been waiting 5 years. 5 years of stains and spills and everything else infants and toddlers can mash into the floor. I know her pain....But why replace it now? These boys are only getting bigger and with that comes larger messes. For her to have her something nice in new carpet, she's got a good 12 years.

I think I'd even settle for a nice looking clean window. That's not going to happen either. What is it with Stickers? They're all over the place! They're on the windows, the stairs, and they were even all over Myles' face during our last grocery trip. My Fridge looks like a bomb of white paper and crayon. No matter what he colors or cuts out, it MUST go on the fridge. There's not a single space between that and the Magnetic Farm on my fridge. Sigh. Nothing nice.

I was on the phone with Donna and I mentioned something she wanted to write down and she tells me, "I don't have a fancy blackberry so I write on the back of my hand" - Again, we can't have anything nice! She also pointed out that there's the moment of stupidity all moms have where we think, "This would look nice _______" But, when you do get something nice you sneak it into the house, maybe while they're sleeping or otherwise engaged. Once they discover it, the kids are all over it within seconds. They know it must be new- they must smell it or something. It must be ruined. Mom cannot have anything nice.

I highly advise you mom's, when you think of getting yourself something nice, just don't! Otherwise you'll be sitting back, watching it get destroyed, shaking your head and saying, "I can't have anything nice." Sigh....

P.S. I TRULY love my boys and would never change a thing about them, but sometimes, I miss my nice stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment