Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cheesecake Renovation- Sinful BUT sensible

So, I did it. I made over a Cheesecake. I have to say this one was tough and go. There were a few key items I was looking to avoid with this makeover.

1. Gritty texture
2. Dense
3. Weird after taste
4. NO Fat Free Cream cheese (It is after all, still a dessert!)

Overall, the results were excellent! My husband told me it was great. He had no idea it was even lightened up! Until I told him there was Cottage cheese in it, then he made sure to tell me, "Well now that you mention it, I can taste that." My son said it was "Yummy". Discerning palate of a 3 1/2 year old, you know.  In order to avoid eating more than my 2 slices (One on Sun morning and one Sunday night), I took it into work.

Well, it vanished REAL Quick! It was sitting outside my desk on the mini "food" table. First there were a couple mini slices missing. Then I heard the chatter.... "Did you try that cheesecake? It's awesome!" and even someone who came into my office and said, "Michelle, you're killing my diet!" Oh I was only too happy to then let everyone know it was, in fact, a lightened up version of New York Cheesecake.

The traditional version of New York Cheesecake can pack as much as 15 points or 710 calories! My version is a mini splurge at 7 points - SERVES 14. Topped with Fresh Strawberries or Lite Hersheys syrup. This is a sinful way to end a meal, without feeling the guilt!

Here's the recipe:

Pre-heat oven to 350 for  Crust:
8 Squares- Graham Crackers
1 T. Butter- melted
1 t. sugar

Spray the springform pan with Pam. Crush crackers in food processor or in a plastic bag with a rolling pin into small crumb pieces. Add 1 t. sugar to grahams and mix together. Melt butter in microwave. Add melted butter to graham crumbs and mix together. Press them into the Springform Pan into a thin layer. Cook crust at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Take out of oven and cool

For Cheesecake:
16 oz. 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese (neufchâtel cheese)
2 Cups 2% Cottage Cheese
1 Cup Reduced Fat Sour Cream
2 Eggs
3 Egg Whites (only whites)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 T. Flour
1 t. vanilla extract
1-2 t. Lemon Zest

In food processor mix together the Cream cheese, cottage cheese, and sour cream. Pulse until fluffy and mostly smooth. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add in eggs, egg whites, sugar, flour, vanilla, and lemon zest. Using a whisk mix until well combined. Pour mixture into the prepared crust. Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees. The cheesecake will be lightly browned and almost set (may still be a little jiggly in middle.) Turn OFF the oven and let cheesecake stay in there for 1 hour. Place in the fridge for 4 hours to overnight to set.

Feel free to top off with Sliced Strawberries mixed with 1 t. sugar. If you let it sit in fridge, then it will create juices. Great topping with a quick spray of redi-whip! Enjoy!

AGAIN: 7 points for 1/14 of the cheesecake

No comments:

Post a Comment