Wednesday, September 26, 2012

In need of willpower.... DESPERATELY!

I've mentioned before that I work in an office environment. Every day is a new adventure here and a lot of time people bring in food for birthdays, celebrations, or just because. This can make eating healthfully more difficult. Today, I am the culprit for some of my difficulty. For those of you reading who don't know, I am a Sales trainer. Sometimes in training we need to "motivate" people, aka, bribe. In order to get people to do their homework  assignment from their training class yesterday, I offered to give out a special treat for people who completed their assignment. That being said, I stopped at Target this morning and purchased some candy. Now, I am keeping people's health in check as I am only giving each of them, 1 bag of M & M's (2.5 points), 1 Reese's (1 point), and 1 kit kat (1 point). All in all, not a bad treat for someone. The problem is.... I have to sit next to a HUGE basket of amazing, yummy smelling candy all day.

That wouldn't be so bad, but in addition to the candy I had to leave the comfort area of my desk this morning to do "rounds" and hand out the candy. I've noticed in the mornings there are usually "traps" around my office. These traps are where people bring in all of their wonderful treats for the day- bagels, donuts, pastries, anything! The key is to avoid getting up and walking around until about 11 am once the bagels are stale and the donuts are picked through. If I get up and walk around at 9 am, it can be dangerous. This morning, it was Dangerous, with a capital "D". First problem spotted, there is a co-worker who is getting married this weekend, so his team decided to put together a breakfast celebration "spread" for him.

This spread included Panera bagels, cream cheese, coffee cake, mini muffins, English muffins, poached eggs, cheese, ham, breakfast sandwich fixins. They were also kind enough to put out a large plate of fresh fruit. As I quickly walked by, I was greeted by problem #2, a large box of bakery muffins. Here some of the nicest people who I work with said, "Michelle- come have a muffin!" I walked over, praying there would not be a chocolate chip, as that is my favorite, and of course, there was. I politely declined. By this time, my 2 point breakfast smoothie is REALLY wearing off. Third proble, here I am walking around with a basket full of yummy smelling candy. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Deep breath. I can do this, I WILL do this. I do not need to give into this temptation.

 I walked back to my desk where I promptly "hid" the candy in my desk cabinet (see picture). I realized I could go take another look at the food at the breakfast spread. Surely there was something there I could eat. Did I make the right call? What do you think? Here's what I ate....

I don't know why today was such a difficult day. In actuality this week has been a REALLY tough week in general. I am in my 12th week of Weight Watchers. I am down 22 lbs. I feel like I am starting to hit a wall. I know my activity level needs to come up and I need to just have a complete re-focus of my eating. I find myself almost slipping. It's again the little changes. Choosing to continue to take the stairs and not the elevator (Thanks to the sign that reminds me a person burns 10 calories climbing the stairs while riding an elevator only burns 1.5 calories), Walking to Subway or Jimmy Johns and skipping the bacon and the mayo, going with the broth based soups. Every little choice I make continues to compound my healthy lifestyle change. Next week I get to try on my size 16 pants. I'm nervous but excited. I haven't bought any new clothes. I have an entire wardrobe in size 16 and size 14 that I can't wait to fit into and then can't wait to get out of! Hoping someone out there is reading this and it's helping them. I know it's helping me! Til next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment