Monday, January 20, 2014

Meatless Mondays- trying something new

Planning my menu board
LOVE my menu board!
I decided this year I am going to get further into my menu planning. I've made (Yeah, so my hubby made it) a board where I post my weekly menu. I've got it down to 5-6 meals per week where I have EVERYTHING on hand in my fridge and pantry. Recipes at the ready, too. If I decide I don't feel like eating a certain meal that evening, then I can trade it out! It's been a blessing. It also helps my hubby know what to get started should he beat me home from work.

This photo was right after I made it. Before I had decided on Meatless Mondays. However, I am on week 2 of Meatless Mondays. Tonight is Pasta Fresca (copycat version from Noodles and Co) and I'll let you know how it turns out. 

However, I have to share the recipe I made last week! It was simply awesome! Not too hard, but even my kids had 2 servings each! It was Whole wheat linguine with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto.


Recipe as follows:

1 cup sun dried tomatoes - not in oil (produce area)
1 T. Olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (not the powder stuff- buy real and shred!)
2 medium cloves garlic
1 1/2 cups basil (FRESH)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. sugar (I added this to offset acid)
Whole Wheat Linguine Pasta (Or high fiber pasta)

Place tomatoes in a heat-proof bowl; cover with boiling water. Let sit until softened, about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain tomatoes but reserve tomato liquid.  

Place tomatoes, 1 cup of tomato liquid, oil, 1/2 cup of cheese, garlic, basil, salt and red pepper flakes in a food processor; process until smooth. 

Add more tomato liquid, if desired, and adjust seasonings. 

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water; drain pasta. In a serving bowl, toss pasta with pesto and about 3/4 to 1 cup reserved cooking water, depending on desired consistency; sprinkle with remaining cheese. 
Yields about 1 cup pasta, 1/3 cup sauce and 3/4 teaspoon cheese per serving. 

I served it with Steamed Broccoli, sprinkled a little more Parmesan on top of the broccoli. Yumm! 
NOTE: There was a lot of Pesto left, so I put it into a Tupperware container and have been using it as a spread for my turkey sandwiches and egg sandwiches in the morning! 

Oh, and I also figured I'd share my new license with you! The picture on top was me 1 month after my 2nd son was born. I was 250 lbs (I lied to the DMV- oops). I don't even recognize the woman in the picture.... Making the little changes can make an AWFULLY big difference, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment